Quakes add Busch to bolster depth
apartment in Chicago to pack up, a new home in the Bay Area to find and a raft
of boxes still waiting in storage in Columbus, Ohio.
But Jon Busch had something even
more pressing at the top of his to-do list on Tuesday.
“I need sunglasses,” Busch said, squinting from
the noontime rays after finishing his first training session as a member of the
San Jose Earthquakes. "I don’t even own
sunglasses, because I’ve never needed them before."
It’s just the latest in a series of
rapid adjustments Busch has had to undergo in the last week. The 2008 MLS
Goalkeeper of the Year was unceremoniously waived on March 22 by the Chicago
Fire, for whom Busch had started all 60 regular-season matches over the last
“It’s been an emotional week for
both me and my wife,” Busch said. “So just to get out here [to California] last
night and to get out here today and get back to what I love doing is great. I’m
excited to have a new challenge in front of me.”
While Busch’s wife Nikki was busy
emptying out their Chicago place, the 33-year-old veteran was on the field for
the Earthquakes’ entire practice, and then stayed for an extra 15 minutes while
Chris Wondolowski fired dozens of shots at him.
“That’s how I am every day,” Busch
said of the work ethic. “If I don’t get to go on the field, I kind of go a
little crazy and my wife doesn’t like me too much.”
Busch said the contract is for one year, with options included to extend
beyond the 2010 season. The team officially announced the signing on Tuesday night.
The Earthquakes felt that since
Busch will have a minimal impact on the team’s salary-cap situation, he was too
good of a value to pass up. But coach Frank Yallop made it clear that his depth
chart still has incumbent Joe Cannon at the top.
“Joe’s No. 1, yeah," Yallop said. "Joe’s playing.
Joe’s not done badly. Right now, Jon’s there to back up Joe.”
The fate of Andrew Weber, suddenly
dropped to third-string, will be determined “further down the line,” Yallop said,
when the team decides if it wants to go with two or three keepers in the long
Busch showed no unhappiness with the
arrangement. He arrived in Chicago from Columbus in 2007 as a backup to
then-starter Matt Pickens and sat on the bench until Pickens tried his hand in
England before the 2008 season.
“In 14 years as a pro, I’ve never
said, ‘I have to be the No. 1,’ at any time,” Busch said. “All I’ve said was: ‘Look,
I’ll come in, I’ll work my socks off like I’ve always done.’ And if Frank and
his coaching staff feel like I deserve a game, I deserve a game. But if not,
Joe’s a very seasoned professional, a friend of mine. We go back years from the
national team camps. He’s been there and done it all.”
The Earthquakes have a bye this
weekend, but return to action on April 10 in -- of all places -- Chicago.
“It’s crazy the way it works out,”
Busch said. “I guess that’s karma.”
Whether Cannon is so sanguine about
the situation remains open to debate. The Bay Area native declined through a
team spokesman to talk to the media Tuesday, leaving Busch with the last word.
“If Frank picks my number, great,”
Busch said. “If I stay here and I push Joe and help the team in any way
possible, that’s part of it, too. I’m completely happy with that. It’s California.
The sun’s out. It’s not Chicago weather.”
Sunglasses are definitely in order.
Geoff Lepper covers the
Earthquakes for MLSsoccer.com. He can be reached at email@example.com . Follow him
on Twitter at @sjquakes.