Social Footballer: Positive thinking
I am sure that all of you are still feeling a bit down from the weekend's match against Chivas USA. For me, it was a tough game to swallow. Being up 1-0 at home is always a game that you should win. However, it's still not time to panic. Despite the result, there were a number of positives that Quakes fans should take away from last weekend's affair:
1. Jon Busch - Buschy made some amazing saves that kept the game close. This season he has been a veritable brick wall making save after save that would find the back of the net against many other keepers.
2. Chris Wondolowski - Wondo getting back on the scoreboard is what this club needs. It's fine to have multiple goal scorers, but there's also nothing wrong with having a defending Golden Boot winner to drop the hammer in the clutch. Wondo was scoreless in three games since posting a brace against FC Dallas, he was back to his old ways of being in the right spot at the right time against Chivas last weekend.
3. Steven Lenhart - Having Lenhart make his debut for the club is crucial. He brings something to the club that the Quakes have struggled with since returning to MLS in 2008. Lenny is a striker who can hold the ball up and bring other players into the game. As he gains fitness and sees more time, I think there could be more quality chances being created in the attacking third.
4. Anthony Ampaipitakwong - I though Ampai came into the game and made a difference. He brought the energy that many of the other players were lacking and provided a spark that I wish more of the players would have picked up on. He could be in line for more time going forward.
The season is still young and if we can build from these bright spots, there's nothing to worry about just yet. I'm hoping for some points this weekend in Philadelphia.
TWEETS OF THE WEEK
- @bobbyburling: (Bobby Burling) - Messi just went complete video game style on his second. #wowzers (Bobby, I know you wouldn't have let him dribble through the box like that, woud you? Ridiculous goal!)
- @ChrisWondo (Chris Wondolowski) - Well done sharks!!! Love it anytime anyone beats L.A. (I don't think any Quakes fans can disagree with that statement)
- @AnthonyAmpai (Anthony Ampaipitakwong) - Touch down in Philly! Cowboys have a history of doing work here @zvalentin20 haha twitpic.com/4qp3pq (The Earthquakes do too, young Ampai. Who could forget Arturo Alvarez's 90th-minute game winner last year? Let's hope for a similar result this time around!)