Earthquakes announce "March to Soccer Week" events
SAN JOSE, Calif. – The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that the club will host a series of events around the San Francisco Bay Area as part of its “March to Soccer Week” to promote the team’s home opener against Real Salt Lake on Sunday, March 3 at Buck Shaw Stadium.
The list of events includes community appearances by players, social media engagement with players and staff, an exclusive season ticket holder party and Earthquakes celebrity bartending.
“As an organization that prides itself on community involvement, we’re thrilled to bring ‘March to Soccer Week’ to the Bay Area. The lineup of events has something for everybody, whether you’re a passionate supporter, casual fan or just a fan of the beautiful game,” said Earthquakes president Dave Kaval.
The club has three events on tap for Monday, Feb. 25. The first is a Get Earthquakes Fit event, presented by Kaiser Permanente, at LUCHA Elementary in San Jose. Get Earthquakes Fit is a program that takes aim at juvenile obesity and diabetes; it promotes healthy lifestyle choices through a basic five-week fitness regimen that culminates with a closing ceremony hosted by an Earthquakes player. Monday’s events also include a Wells Fargo Goals for Education check presentation at Coliseum College Prep in Oakland and a Twitter Hunt with the Shakers. To participate in the Twitter hunt, fans should follow @SJEarthquakes and look for clues about the location of the Shakers starting at 3 p.m. PT. The first to find the location of the Shakers will win a pair of tickets to the club’s home opener.
On Tuesday, the club will take part in a secret community event. The club’s mascot, Q, and two players will surprise local youth soccer teams during their practice with tickets to the club’s home opener, schedule posters and autographs. The Earthquakes will also receive commendation from the City of San Jose at 1:30 p.m. PT for the team’s Supporters’ Shield trophy in 2012 and visit Blackford Elementary in San Jose for a Get Earthquakes Fit assembly.
Season ticket holders will get their turn on Wednesday as the club hosts an exclusive party at Bowlmor Lanes in Cupertino. All players will be on hand to interact with fans in attendance. The event starts at 6 p.m. PT and is open to all 2013 Earthquakes season ticket holders. The club will also host another Get Earthquakes Fit assembly, this time at McEntee Elementary in San Jose. Earlier in the day, Earthquakes broadcasters Jim Kozimor (CSN Bay Area), Kelly Gray (CSN Bay Area), Dan Dibley (CSN Bay Area), Anthony Passarelli (KLIV 1590) and Chris Dangerfield (KLIV 1590) will join host Miguel Duarte for a special Google+ Hangout to preview the upcoming season at noon on sjearthquakes.com.
Thursday features a trio of events, including a Wells Fargo Goals for Education check presentation at East Palo Alto Academy in Menlo Park and Shakers visits to local radio stations. Fans will also have a chance to interact with players as part of a Fire Chief Ale Beer Tapping event at Rock Bottom Brewery in Campbell, Calif. Proceeds from the charitable endeavor will benefit the Alisa Ann Ruch Burn Foundation’s Champ Camp and Campbell Fire Department Rescue 25.
Finally, on Friday, the club will take part in Read Across America Day. Players and Shakers will visit four different Bay Area elementary schools to read a Dr. Seuss book aloud to kids and sign autographs. The Earthquakes will also host their official media Day at Buck Shaw Stadium from 10:15 a.m. to noon with a Chris Wondolowski video chat via Google+ Hangout to follow at 1 p.m. PT. Fans can participate in the chat by Tweeting questions for Wondolowski to @SJEarthquakes.
MARCH TO SOCCER WEEK SCHEDULE
Monday, Feb. 25
- Wells Fargo Goals for Education: Check presentation at Coliseum College Prep in Oakland, 3 p.m. with “Q” and a player
- Get EQ Fit Presented by Kaiser Permanente: Assembly at LUCHA Elementary in San Jose, 1 p.m. with a player
- Twitter Hunt: Hunting for a pair of Opening Day tickets starting at 3 p.m. with the Shakers
Tuesday, Feb. 26
- Secret Community Appearance: “Q”, the Shakers and two players will surprise youth soccer teams during practice with ticket to the club’s Opening Day, schedule posters and autographs
- City Hall Commendation: Sam Cronin will accept commendation from the City of San Jose on behalf of the Earthquakes for the club’s Supporters’ Shield trophy in 2012 at 1:30 p.m.
- Get EQ Fit Presented by Kaiser Permanente: Assembly at Blackford Elementary, 2 p.m. with a player
Wednesday, Feb. 27
- Season Ticket Holder Countdown Event: Exclusive party for current Earthquakes season ticket holders at Bowlmor Lanes in Cupertino, 6 p.m. All players will be present.
- Get EQ Fit Presented by Kaiser Permanente: Assembly at McEntee Elementary in San Jose, 2 p.m. with a player
- Google+ Hangout with Earthquakes Broadcasters: Jim Kozimor (CSN Bay Area), Kelly Gray (CSN Bay Area), Dan Dibley (CSN Bay Area), Anthony Passarelli (KLIV 1590) and Chris Dangerfield (KLIV 1590) will be joined by host Miguel Duarte for a special video chat to preview the upcoming season, noon at sjearthquakes.com.
Thursday, Feb. 28
- Fire Chief Ale Beer Tapping Charity Event: Earthquakes players will be guest bartenders at Rock Bottom Brewery in Campbell to benefit Alisa Ann Ruch Burn Foundation’s Champ Camp and Campbell Fire Department Rescue 25, 6 p.m.
- Wells Fargo Goals for Education: Check presentation at East Palo Alto Academy in Menlo Park, 2:45 p.m. with “Q” and a player
- Shakers Radio Visits: Shakers will deliver Supporters’ Shield pennants, courtesy of Visa, and other swag to radio partners in the Bay Area
Friday, March 1
- Read Across America Day: Earthquakes players and Shakers will read a Dr. Seuss book aloud to kids and sign autographs at Sherman Oaks Elementary, Meadows Elementary and Baker Elementary in San Jose and Alisal Elementary in Pleasanton
- Google+ Hangout with Chris Wondolowski: Wondo will field fan questions via Twitter and chat with host Miguel Duarte through a Google+ Hangout, 1 p.m. at sjearthquakes.com.