Landon Donovan may not have scored as many goals as teammate Edson Buddle or San Jose striker Chris Wondolowski. But that doesn’t mean the LA Galaxy midfielder isn’t as valuable. With 16 assists on the season, Donovan compiled his best statistical year in that category and won what we'll call the "Silver Boot" for the league lead.
Donovan captained the Galaxy to the third Supporters’ Shield in the club’s history in 2010, adding seven goals of his own. He compiled those statistics despite missing six games between May 20 and July 4 while with the US national team for the World Cup.
Donovan's total tops his previous career best of 13 assists in a season. His final assist of 2010, against FC Dallas on Sunday, was well-timed.
With the Galaxy losing 1-0 with the Shield on the line, Donovan shouldered FCD defender Jackson off the ball, before turning and setting up David Beckham with the equalizer. The Galaxy went on to take the game, 2-1.
The Galaxy now face a tough test against the Seattle Sounders in the Western Conference semifinal. But take note of this: In his last visit to Qwest Field, Donovan recorded a goal and three assists as the Galaxy ran out 4-0 winners.
- Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), 16 assists
- David Ferreira (FC Dallas), 13 assists
- Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), 12 assists
- Sebastien Le Toux (Philadelphia Union) 11 assists
- Bobby Convey (San Jose Earthquakes), Freddie Ljungberg (Chicago Fire), Fredy Montero (Seattle Sounders) and Patrick Nyarko (Chicago Fire), 10 assists
Ready to Launch: MLS Matchday 2010, The new official MLS iPhone app. It's FREE! Download it here!