- Requests must be received four (4) weeks prior to the event date.
- All requests must be submitted via the Player Appearance Request Form.
- Please refer to the Earthquakes schedule prior to submitting your request. Player appearances generally last from 60-90 minutes. Players are not available on game days, and "Off" days and no appearances will begin before 2:00 pm due to the daily training schedule. Some of our player appearances that are community-oriented are non-paid appearances. However, many civic organizations offer honorariums to players or offer to make donations to the San Jose Earthquakes Community Fund.
- An Earthquakes staff member, intern and/or volunteer will attend every scheduled appearance and will bring the appropriate items as needed and will offer assistance when appropriate.
- The Earthquakes players are mostly not available during the off-season.
When considering appearance requests, we adhere to the following criteria:
- Wide reaching impact
- Clear role for the player in the event (reading to a class, hand out awards, etc.)
- No activities with risk of injury.
- Description of event (not including player appearance). We recommend that your event NOT center around the player's attendance, but rather have them serve as a complement to the overall event.
- Number of and approximate age of attendees.
Promotion of Player Appearances
Use of the San Jose Earthquakes name, logos, trademarks and/or any advertising that implies the support or sponsorship of an event or organization by the San Jose Earthquakes, San Jose Earthquakes Community Fund, or Major League Soccer must be approved in writing by the San Jose Earthquakes.
Please forward all artwork that features any of the above items before promoting an Earthquakes player appearance, to the Earthquakes Community Relations Department for approval. This policy pertains to all forms of advertising, including all printed (ads or flyers), television, and/or radio commercials or advertisements.
Once your request has been reviewed, you will be contacted by a Community Relations representative and learn the status of your request: declined, pending, or accepted. Due to the volume of requests, please allow 2-3 weeks for a response. Please do not contact the Community Relations department to check on the status of a request.
If your request has been accepted, it has been done so in accordance to the information provided in the Player Appearance Request Form. If changes are made after this time, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate the changes.
In order to accommodate as many groups as possible, as a general rule, the Earthquakes do not make return visits to organizations within a calendar year. Also, an approved appearance does not ensure annual participation by the Earthquakes. If for any reason we need to cancel an appearance, we will notify your organization as soon as we are aware of an unavoidable conflict.
Guidelines for Successful Appearances
Appearances are a very important part of our organization and we take them seriously. Please review the following list of guidelines to insure that the appearance goes well for everyone:
- Players can perform a variety of tasks at an event. They may give speeches, demonstrate skills, sign autographs, pose for pictures, lead practices, or read to children. Please be specific on your Player Appearance Request Form.
- Due to the players' busy schedules, we cannot guarantee specific players. Team captains, national team players, and major stars are popular and cannot be at every appearance. Therefore, we cannot always honor specific player requests.
- The Earthquakes reserve the right to reschedule or cancel an appearance due to an unexpected conflict.
- All supplies/equipment necessary for the appearance must be ready when the player arrives (for example, chairs and tables should already be set up when Earthquakes arrive).