The Earthquakes announced on Friday the acquisition of Brazilian defender Nathan. Here are five things to know about the Quakes’ newest player:
1. Nathan joins San Jose from Swiss club FC Zurich on a three-year contract (2021-23) with a club option for 2024 using Targeted Allocation Money.
2. The 26-year-old has played in Brazil and Switzerland, tallying nine goals and one assist in 144 appearances in his professional career. His arrival to MLS will mark the third country he will play in.
3. The Brazilian defender was among the group of players loaned to Chapecoense to rebuild the squad following the team’s plane crash in November 2016 that killed 71 people associated with the club.
4. The Sao Paulo, Brazil native also carries experience at the international level after competing for Brazil at the 2015 South American U-20 Championship and helped lead his team to a fourth-place finish at the 10-team competition.
5. Nathan will join Judson and Andy Rios as the only Quakes players on the current roster who have previously played in Brazil.