The Earthquakes announced on Thursday the signing of Slovakian midfielder Jan Gregus. Here are five things to know about the Quakes’ newest player:
1. The Quakes have signed Jan Gregus to a contract for the 2022 season, using Targeted Allocation Money, with a club option for 2023. Gregus received his U.S. Green Card in 2021 and will not count as an international on the club’s roster.
2. Gregus officially joins San Jose after being selected with the seventh pick in Stage 2 of the 2021 Major League Soccer Re-Entry Draft last December.
3. The 30-year-old previously played for Minnesota United FC for the past three seasons, tallying two goals and 18 assists across 63 regular season appearances (57 starts). He led the Loons to three consecutive postseason runs (2019, 2020, and 2021), and helped Minnesota reach the 2019 U.S. Open Cup Final vs. Atlanta United FC.
4. Before arriving to MLS, Gregus competed for teams in Denmark, the Czech Republic, England and Slovakia. He made over 100 appearances for Danish side FC Copenhagen, including four appearances in the UEFA Champions League.
5. The Nitra, Slovakia native also carries international experience, tallying four goals in 36 caps for the Slovakia National Team since his debut in 2015.