The Quakes picked up three crucial points against their California Clasico rival LA Galaxy over the weekend. Let’s break down how the game-winner by Vako was earned just before the stroke of halftime.
1. Keep possession: Chris Wondolowski’s hard work keeps possession for San Jose. Wondolowski fends off a screen by Joao Pedro and does just enough to get the ball to teammate Tommy Thompson.
2. Push forward: Thompson shows aggressiveness to take on multiple Galaxy defenders instead of turning back to his defense. After skipping past two, he attempts a cross to the back post, ultimately winning a corner kick.
3. Straight from the training ground: Shea Salinas gives the play call to his teammates before taking the corner kick.
4. Bombs away: A dangerous corner kick by Salinas finds Vako unmarked in the penalty area. His first-timed blast beats keeper Jon Kempin at the near post.
5. Another look: Vako makes no mistake about it, striking the half volley cleanly. It takes the slightest of deflections before finding the back of the net.
6. Celebration: Vako celebrates by kissing his forearm before rookie Jackson Yueill catches up to him.
7. Jubilation: The San Jose Ultras and other traveling fans erupt while the rest of the stadium falls silent.