SAN JOSE, Calif. – Major League Soccer announced that the San Jose Earthquakes have been awarded the 2022 Mark Abbott Digital Content Activation of the Year. The 2022 Mark Abbott MLS Club Awards recognize clubs and individuals driving business, fostering innovation, and delivering value to fans and communities.
The Earthquakes’ Digital team won this league award following their Mexican Heritage Night viral TikTok campaign with Bay Area influencer Ricardino Alvarez (TikTok profile here). In collaboration with Alvarez and Pro Wrestling Revolution Training Academy, the Digital team executed on a five-part video campaign that resulted in the highest engaged social post in MLS history, the most engaged piece of content in club history, and a number of reshares across global media outlets like ESPN’s SportsCenter (video here).
Beginning this year, the Club Awards have been named in honor of MLS President and Deputy Commissioner Mark Abbott, who at the end of 2022 is leaving the League after an extraordinary run as one of the most influential and respected leaders in the game. In 1993, Abbott was hired as the first executive in the league office – three years before the first game was played. The architect of MLS’ business plan, Abbott played an invaluable leadership role on the business, legal and financial side as the League saw transformational growth. As President and Deputy Commissioner since 2013, Abbott has led all areas of League operations and competition, including product strategy, player relations, strategic planning, and communications.
Austin FC President Andy Loughnane was named the 2022 Doug Hamilton Executive of the Year. Under Loughnane’s leadership, Austin FC has sold out every regular season and playoff match in its two-year history. In 2022, the club led the league in season ticket renewals at 96% and ranked second in MLSstore.com U.S. club jersey sales, behind Charlotte FC. In addition to Austin FC’s many business achievements, the club has fostered one of the most passionate fan bases and stadium atmospheres in the League.
Philadelphia Union Sporting Director Ernst Tanner was named the 2022 Sporting Executive of the Year. Tanner helped guide the Union to the top record in the Eastern Conference and the club’s first-ever appearance in MLS Cup. Tanner, who took over at the helm of the Union technical staff in October 2018, built a roster that featured a league-high four players on the 2022 MLS Best XI presented by Continental Tire, including MLS Defender of the Year Jakob Glesnes and Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year Andre Blake. Philadelphia produced the second-best goal differential (+46) in MLS history and recorded 15 shutouts in 2022, which led MLS.
The complete list of 2022 Mark Abbott MLS Club and Executive Award winners is below.
2022 Mark Abbott MLS Club Award Winners
- Doug Hamilton Executive of the Year – Andy Loughnane, Austin FC
- Sporting Executive of the Year – Ernst Tanner, Philadelphia Union
- Academy of the Year – Philadelphia Union
- Administrator of the Year – Josh Gros, Philadelphia Union
- Communications Team of the Year – Austin FC
- Corporate Partnership Activation of the Year – New York City FC
- Corporate Partnership Team of the Year – Toronto FC
- Digital and Social Media Team of the Year – Philadelphia Union
- Digital Content Activation of the Year – San Jose Earthquakes
- eMLS Team of the Year – Atlanta United
- Equipment Manager of the Year – Brandon Comisky, Philadelphia Union
- Inclusion and Impact of the Year – Seattle Sounders FC
- Marisa Colaiano Community Relations Team of the Year – New England Revolution
- Marketing Initiative of the Year – Seattle Sounders FC
- Marketing Team of the Year – Austin FC
- Medical Staff of the Year – Austin FC
- Operations Team of the Year – Nashville SC
- Retail Team of the Year – Los Angeles FC
- Strategy and Business Intelligence Team of the Year – Nashville SC
- Ticket Sales Initiative of the Year – Houston Dynamo
- Ticket Sales Team of the Year – Austin FC
- Security Team of the Year – Sporting Kansas City
- Supporter Management Team of the Year – New York City FC
ABOUT MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER
Headquartered in New York City, Major League Soccer -- celebrating its 27th season in 2022 -- features 29 clubs throughout the United States and Canada, including 2022 expansion team Charlotte FC and St. Louis CITY SC, which debuts in 2023. Starting in 2023, the Apple TV app will be the exclusive destination to watch every single live MLS match. For more information about MLS, visit www.MLSsoccer.com.