SAN JOSE, Calif. – The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that the California Clasico against the LA Galaxy tonight at Stanford Stadium has officially sold out. The Clasico has generated attendance figures north of 50,000 each of the past four seasons and will likely reach that mark once again this year. The match, presented by your Bay Area BMW Centers, will be broadcast live on Univison, in English on 1590 KLIV and in Spanish on 1370 KZSF.
Before the match, a group of skydivers will fly the game ball into the stadium, equipped with an Earthquakes-themed parachute and a giant American flag. Soon after, flags from all 20 MLS teams will be displayed on-field as a tribute to the 20th year of Major League Soccer.
The game will feature Retired Petty Officer First Class Steven D. Powell of the U.S. Navy singing the National Anthem. A veteran of three deployments to Asia, Europe and the Middle East, Powell has performed the National Anthem at more than 200 sporting events, including the 2014 World Series and various NFL and NBA games, among others. He has become known as the ‘Singing Sailor’.
At halftime, the Earthquakes will honor the United States Armed Forces with an on-field celebration, recognizing members of all five branches of the military as part of ‘Salute to the Troops’. There will also be the first-ever card stunt in Earthquakes history on the East side of the stadium.
Following the match, one lucky fan will have an opportunity to win a brand new BMW or Quakes season tickets with a soccer-themed challenge on the field. The Earthquakes will then treat fans to the largest fireworks show in the Bay Area, courtesy of Pyro Spectaculars by Souza, Inc.
Nine Largest Attendances in Club History
1. *73,123 – Earthquakes vs. D.C. United at Stanford Stadium, July 4, 1999
2. **61,572 – Earthquakes vs. Columbus Crew at Candlestick Park, August 8, 2009
3. 50,422 – Earthquakes vs. LA Galaxy at Stanford Stadium, June 27, 2015
4. 50,391 – Earthquakes vs. LA Galaxy at Stanford Stadium, June 30, 2012
5. 50,028 – Earthquakes vs. LA Galaxy at Stanford Stadium, June 29, 2013
6. 50,006 – Earthquakes vs. LA Galaxy at Stanford Stadium, June 28, 2014
7. 48,756 – Earthquakes vs. Seattle Sounders FC at Levi’s® Stadium, August 2, 2014
8. 41,028 – Earthquakes vs. New York Red Bulls at Stanford Stadium, July 2, 2011
9. 39,872 – Earthquakes vs. LA Galaxy at Oakland-Alameda Coliseum, July 14, 2008
*Match played as first game of a doubleheader with U.S. Women’s National Team and Brazil during the FIFA Women’s World Cup.
**Match played as first game of a doubleheader with FC Barcelona and Chivas de Guadalajara.