The San Jose Earthquakes have signed a left-footed forward to help boost the team’s offensive output in 2018. Here are six things to know about the Quakes’ newest attacker.:
1. Eriksson is a native of Solna, Sweden. He is the third Swedish acquisition of the 2017 offseason, after head coach Mikael Stahre and left back Joel Qwiberg.
2. He co-led the Swedish top-flight Allsvenskan with 14 goals in 2017. His seven assists were also near the top of the leaderboard.
3. In one full season with Djurgardens IF, he led the side from a seventh-place finish in 2016 to third-place finish in 2017.
4. Eriksson was a finalist for the Allsvenskan’s Most Valuable Player and Forward of the Year awards in 2013 after tallying 11 goals and a league-best 14 assists for Malmo FF.
5. In two seasons with Malmo (2013-14), Eriksson led the side to back-to-back league championships with a combined 37-9-14 record.
6. Eriksson is a capped member of the Sweden National Team, having started a friendly against Moldova. He had two goals in 12 appearances for various Sweden Youth National Teams prior to that. He also earned a call-up to the 2018 January Camp as part of preparations for the upcoming FIFA World Cup.