Earthquakes general manager Jesse Fioranelli has identified and signed a center back for the club in Yeferson Quintana. Here are five things to know about the Quakes’ newest defender.
1. Quintana comes to San Jose from Uruguayan power Peñarol, where he led them to the league championship in his first full season.
2. At 21 years old, Quintana becomes the fourth-youngest player on the roster behind Jacob Akanyirige (16), JT Marcinkowski (20) and Jackson Yueill (20).
3. He stands an intimidating 6-4, and is the tallest player on the Quakes. Goalkeeper Andrew Tarbell (6-3) and Francois Affolter (6-2) round out the top-three.
4. Quintana can contribute offensively. He tallied three goals and two assists in 29 appearances for Peñarol last season.
5. Quintana also made three appearances for Peñarol during the 2017 Copa Libertadores, the most prestigious club competition in South American football, and tallied an assist in the competition against Palmeiras, champions of Brazil’s top-flight in 2016.