The Quakes recently announced the signing of Gilbert Fuentes to a Homegrown Player contract. Here are five things to know about the Quakes’ newest player:
1. At 15 years old, he’s the youngest player in Earthquakes history. He’s also the youngest professional athlete in the history of Bay Area team sports and the second-youngest active player in MLS.
2. Even at 15, Fuentes was competing for the Quakes’ U-19s this season. He was the youngest member of the team.
3. He has represented the U.S. at the U-15 and U-17 levels, including the CONCACAF U-15 Boys’ Championship in 2017, where they reached the final vs. Mexico.
4. Fuentes hails from Tracy, Calif. and previously competed for Ballistic United Soccer Club in Pleasanton.
5. TopDrawerSoccer tabs Fuentes as the No. 4 player in the nation and No. 1 midfielder for the Class of 2020.