The San Jose Earthquakes earned three points against Minnesota United FC on Saturday, giving the team a dream start to 2018. Let’s break down how the game-winner by striker Danny Hoesen was scored.
1. Maintain possession: Following a string of passes, midfielder Anibal Godoy maintains possession with a clever turn, eluding two defenders before spraying the ball out wide to Magnus Eriksson.
2. Create space: With a hip fake, Eriksson creates space as he puts the ball onto his preferred left foot. He then pings a ball with pace towards Danny Hoesen, who does well to one-touch it to Chris Wondolowski.
3. Stretch the defense: Simple passes from Wondolowski to Eriksson to Godoy help stretch the defense and create space behind for the forwards.
4. Incisive passing: Godoy’s incisive pass is one-touched by Hoesen to Vako, starting a give-and-go. The quick movement had Minnesota’s defense chasing shadows.
5. Finish: The Dutch striker pushes the ball into space, using his speed to beat his defender, before slotting it just inside the back post.
6. Celebrate: The San Jose Ultras, fresh off their move to field level, collectively lose their minds in celebration.