On Thursday afternoon, the San Jose Earthquakes announced the acquisition of Brazilian midfielder Judson. Here are five things to know about the Quakes’ newest player:
- Judson joins on a season-long loan using Targeted Allocation Money from Tombense in his native Brazil. The Earthquakes also hold a buy option, should they choose to initiate a permanent transfer during or at the end of the 2019 season.
- In 2018, Judson led Avaí FC to a third-place finish in Brazil’s second division, earning promotion to the top flight. He also led the club to promotion with a second-place finish in 2016.
- After being relegated at the conclusion of the 2017 season, Judson displayed loyalty to his club by remaining with Avaí despite interest from first-division clubs.
- In addition to his Serie B experience, the 25-year-old has significant minutes in Brazil’s Serie A as well, competing in the nation’s top league in 2017. He was among the league leaders in interceptions that season (5.24 per game).
- Judson has made nearly 100 total appearances since the start of the 2017 season, showing his durability.