On Sunday morning, the San Jose Earthquakes announced the acquisition of Peruvian left back Marcos Lopez. Here are five things to know about the Quakes’ newest player:
- Lopez is the youngest ever international signing for the Quakes at just 19 years old.
- He previously competed for Peru at the 2017 South American U-20 Championship, despite being the youngest player on the squad. He is age eligible and will compete in the 2019 edition of the competition in the coming weeks.
- Lopez, left-footed, played both left back and left wing for his former club Sporting Cristal Lima. He is also capable of playing left wingback.
- His tremendous season in 2018, in which he helped Sporting dominate the Peruvian first division, led to offers from European and South American clubs. He made 21 starts in 23 appearances, scoring five goals.
- Lopez made his senior national team debut in September of 2018 in a friendly against Germany, becoming the youngest Peruvian to debut under head coach Ricardo Gareca.