SAN JOSE, Calif. – The San Jose Earthquakes, Wells Fargo, and Silicon Valley Education Foundation created Goals for Education: a scholarship program for students who demonstrate a commitment to physical health, financial literacy, and STEM education. The program commits $500 from Wells Fargo for every goal the Quakes score during the regular season.
During the 2019 season, the Quakes scored 52 goals, their fourth most in a single season in club history. Earning $500 per goal, the Quakes raised $26,000. This year, 17 scholarships of $1,500 will be awarded to college-bound seniors to help support their STEM-focused academic careers.
“Wells Fargo values the pursuit of higher education, and that is one of the reasons we’ve partnered once again with the San Jose Earthquakes to invest in the future of each scholarship recipient,” said Wells Fargo Silicon Valley Region President Max Seetho. “When students and their families prosper, our communities thrive and we all win.”
Scholarship applications will be accepted from March 2 to May 8, with the awardees announced on June 1. The recipients will be celebrated on-field when the Quakes take on expansion side Nashville SC at Earthquakes Stadium on Saturday, June 20 (6:45 p.m.).
“Silicon Valley Education Foundation is excited to partner with Wells Fargo and the San Jose Earthquakes on the Goals for Education scholarship program,” said Lisa Andrew, Ed.D., CEO of Silicon Valley Education Foundation. “This opportunity underscores the importance of a healthy lifestyle and provides welcome support for college-bound students in our community.”
Full eligibility details are below:
● Applicants must be a 2020 graduate or graduating high school senior from a Santa Clara County Public School, and currently living in Santa Clara County, California.
● Applicants must be enrolled in a two-year or four-year college or university for the 2020 fall semester.
● Scholarships are to be used towards tuition, books, supplies, or other academic-related expenses as seen fit by Silicon Valley Education Foundation and must be spent within the 2019-2020 school year.
● Applications must be submitted electronically here.
Eligible School Districts:
● Campbell Union School District
● East Side Union School District
● Fremont Union School District
● Gilroy Unified School District
● Los Gatos-Saratoga Union High School District
● Milpitas Unified School District
● Morgan Hill Unified School District
● Mountain View-Los Altos Union High School District
● Palo Alto Unified School District
● Santa Clara Unified School District
● San Jose Unified School District
*Employees of Wells Fargo, the San Jose Earthquakes, Silicon Valley Education Foundation and members of the immediate family of any such persons are not eligible to participate and win. The term “immediate family” includes spouses, siblings, parents, children, grandparents, and grandchildren, whether as “in-laws,” or by current or past marriage(s), remarriage(s), adoption, co-habitation or other family extension, and any other persons residing at the same household whether or not related.