On Tuesday morning, the San Jose Earthquakes announced the signing of 21-year-old forward Benji Kikanovic. Here are five things to know about the Quakes’ newest player:
- Kikanovic spent the 2020 season with the Earthquakes’ former USL Championship affiliate Reno 1868 FC, scoring two goals in 13 appearances.
- Kikanovic was born in San Jose before moving to Sacramento.
- He spent two years at Sacramento State (2018-19), where he was a two-time Second Team All-Big West Conference selection and the 2018 Big West Conference Co-Freshman of the Year. He finished his collegiate career with nine goals and five assists in 34 appearances.
- Kikanovic also played for the Sacramento Gold of the NPSL in 2019.
- Prior to college, Kikanovic competed for Placer United in Rocklin, Calif., the same youth club as FC Dallas defender Ryan Hollingshead. He also previously played for Blues FC, the same youth club as Quakes defender Tommy Thompson, and was coached by Tommy's father.