After the additions of midfielder Eric Remedi on Monday and forward Benji Kikanovic on Tuesday to the Earthquakes’ 2021 roster, the club announced the signing of Argentine right back Luciano Abecasis on Wednesday morning. Below are five things to know more about the Quakes’ newest signing:
- Abecasis, who joins San Jose on a free transfer, signed a one-year contract with option to extend.
- The 30-year-old defender carries an extensive history playing in many leagues and competitions throughout his stops in Argentina, Italy and Paraguay.
- Abecasis brings additional experience from competing in other international competitions, including three appearances in Copa Libertadores.
- In 2011, the Rosario, Argentina native was elevated from River Plate II to the First Team by then head coach Matias Almeyda. Abecasis would help River Plate win the 2011-12 Primera Nacional title, earning promotion to the nation’s top league.
- With a preferred right foot, Abecasis has played primarily as a right back during his professional career but also has experience at left back, providing versatility to Quakes’ back line.