The San Jose Earthquakes will celebrate their 50th anniversary during the 2024 Major League Soccer season. Founded in 1974, the club will commemorate its legacy as one of the oldest professional soccer teams in North America with a series of initiatives. To kick off the 50th anniversary celebration, the Earthquakes will host a 50th anniversary block party and jersey reveal at San Pedro Square Market in downtown San Jose on Sunday, Feb. 18, from 1 PM. The event will welcome all generations of Quakes fans to enjoy the night alongside their favorite players and faces from the past five decades. There will be live music and performances, raffle and prize giveaways, and even a chance to win a VIP road trip to the California Clasico in Los Angeles.
Here are the five biggest reasons to attend.
- Skills Challenge: Among those club legends in attendance will be Shea Salinas, who will host a youth skills challenge for kids ages 5-14 from 1-3:30 p.m. The winners of each age group will win the “Ultimate Quakes Fan Prize Pack” – a new 2024 jersey, team store gift card, two tickets to the home opener, and a subscription to MLS Season Pass to watch the Quakes all season.
- Meet 50 Years of Earthquakes: One-to-one interaction has always been and will continue to be a main focus of the club. New signings, current members of the squad as well as Alumni will be in attendance, rotating between a photo booth station & autograph station. From 3:30 – 4:45pm here’s who will be hanging out with us: Ramiro Corrales, Ismael “Easy” Perez, Chris Dangerfield, Cristian Espinoza, Preston Judd, Alfredo Morales, Daniel, Krazy George and more.
- Photo and Video Opportunities: In addition to Quakes players and alumni, the 2001 and 2003 MLS Cup Trophies will be on display, as will an array of Quakes backdrops and video booth for you to share your favorite Earthquakes memory from the first 50 years. Pick up a copy of “The Unforgettable San Jose Earthquakes – Momentous Stories On & Off The Field” and meet author Gary Singh.
- Live Music and Entertainment: This is 50 Block Party will have something that everyone in the family will enjoy. Starting at 1pm, DJ Umami will be spinning from the stage while fans have the first opportunity to purchase limited edition “This is 50” throwback gear. Visit the Pop Up SJ market featuring:
- Bargain Buddy
- Collision Boutique
- Got Sonrias
- Down To Earth Vintage
- Black Cats Vintage
- Kahok Doodles
- Killa sharks Clothing
- Klout Vintage
At 3:30pm Jimmy Conrad will take the stage to talk to current and former Quakes to talk about the first 50 years and unveil to "The 50 Kit”.
5. Finish off the night with a performance by San Jose-based Mexican “Popteño” band SuenaTron Founded by the sons of Los Tigres del Norte bassist Hernan Hernandez, SuenaTron is comprised of brothers Hernan Hernandez Jr. and Giovanni Hernandez, Matt Gonzalez, Julio Olague and Eduardo Montelongo, and combines traditional sounds of regional Mexican music with modern day flair.
Any maybe the biggest reason, your first opportunity to purchase "The 50 Kit" in person!